Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fifth decade… 1988 – 1997

Fifth decade… 1988 – 1997

The 5th decade would start with increasing competition and a shrinking territory on both the Rental’s, and lawn equipment sales.  One of the few bright spots was the Forks Township store.  With an investment of just some plywood and drywall it was doing well despite the lack of usable facilities.

In 1987 my Father was looking for a summer building project.  My Father decided to update the Forks Township Store by remodeling one of the old sheds to become an Office, Showroom and Shop with a ground level entrance.  My Fathers plan was to acquire a permit to replace the Roof and while no one was looking replace the walls and enlarge the footprint. 

This project would not go unnoticed by the zoning officer, and he would immediately stop the project.  My Father would scale back the project to avoid need to submit detailed plans to the State of Pennsylvania.  My Father also believed he could accomplish this project without hiring an engineer; we would spend the next several months drawing, re-drawing, and re-submitting my Fathers plans until they were finally accepted by the Supervisors. 

The Project would now extend into the spring of 1988.  The first attempt to open we would be hit by the demand of a State L & I permit.  My Father thought the scaled back plans would avoid the State requirement, it didn’t.  At this point my Father would hire an engineer to tweak the plans to meet L & I requirements.  With the State permit in hand we moved everything into the building however the zoning officer still wasn't ready to allow us to use the building.  During the repeat of his first inspection he would claim the attic was short 2” of insulation he would refuse to issue a certificate of occupancy.  The cash register would be moved back to the Farm House for another week.  After a third inspection that didn’t even include the attic inspection we would get approval to open the new office.

When the Forks store opened 1985 we were graciously welcomed into Forks Township.  Much of the warm welcome was due in part that Forks Township was interested in a part of the property for a municipal Park.  My Father assumed he was creating good will between us and the Supervisors by selling the land to Forks Township for less than ½ its actual value.  The truth was once they had the land they had no longer wanted a rental store in the Township.  Since the land deal we have tried several times to expand the Business each time met by rejection.  Today Forks is well known as a bedroom community opposed to business development.  The Forks Store still operates in 2014 however my Fathers experiment in nostalgia would prevent the store from ever reaching its potential.

The mid 1980's would bring the first Computers into the business.  We would start by computerizing the back office and desktop publishing duties.  In 1990 my Father gave the green light to completely computerize the business.  When the full business computer system was turned on my Father would take another step away from the day to day operation of the rental business.  

In another step backwards my Father would resurrect the truck rental business with our own fleet of trucks. We had been in and out of the Truck Rental Business since the early 1960’s.  Over the years we had used both our own fleet of trucks and the National Truck Rental Companies like U-Haul.  In the early years we would use old trucks, dealer plates and low cost insurance to reduce to costs.  This would all change in the later 1960's as insurance and licensing changes would diminish the profitability of owning our own fleet of Rental Trucks.  We would eliminate renting our own trucks and continue only to offer rental Trucks from the national truck rental companies.  Renting the franchised trucks was problematic, dealing with complicated paperwork, and spotty availability we could never guarantee that we could acquire the proper truck for our customers needs.  We had made a few other attempts to rent are own fleet with motor homes, and a bucket truck, however the lack of affordable Insurance would always be a problem. 

When my Father started updating the delivery Truck fleet he would decide to insure a few of the box Trucks for rental use.  He was less concerned with profits then value of having mobile billboards, as our distinctively painted and lettered trucks traveled throughout the valley.  Another consideration was we needed the delivery trucks on Fridays and Mondays.  Customers looking for a moving van needed a truck on a Saturday or Sunday.  Our delivery trucks could generate additional income when they would normally sit idle.

The problem with rental trucks from day one was the ability to compete with the national truck franchises.  The rate we would charge for a moving van was less than we charged for a Garden Tiller.  With a few exceptions each truck we rented was rented at a loss.  The more trucks that were added to the fleet the more money we would lose.  As the rental truck fleet grew a full time mechanic would devote most of his time to just maintaining the fleet.  The benefit of rolling billboards would come into question when one truck got jammed underneath a Historic Covered Bridge; another rented Truck was used in an attempted abduction of a 13 year old girl.

The computer understood the profitability of truck rental; I understood the profitability of truck rental no one else cared to look.  The truck rental business continues today I doubt it has ever turned a profit and continues to be a draw on business resources.

In the early 90's RV Business would fall under my Fathers Microscope.  For more than 10 years business resources were funneled into growing the RV Business.  With all the financial resources being poured into the RV business it still could barely stand on its own.  With most of the business’s profits being used to grow the RV business the rental business continued to suffer with old outdated equipment.  This did not go unnoticed by an Allentown competitor who would move deep into our neighborhood.

My Father began to question the investment in growing the RV business.  Eventually my Father and Brother would come to an agreement to spin off the RV Business's.  My Brother would agree to purchase the RV business along with the inventory.  When the deal was finalized it would be reduced to a stock swap with no cash involved.  Leiser’s Inc. would not recoup its significant investment in RV’s.

Even with the constraints put on the Forks Townships by the dilapidated buildings the business was growing.  The completion of interstate route 78 would complete a direct route from the Lehigh Valley to New York City.  New York and New Jersey residents would discover that Lehigh Valley house prices and real estate taxes were ½ the price of comparable housing in New Jersey.  New York and New Jersey residents would flood into Eastern Pennsylvania taking advantage of good roads and low taxes.
 
Much of this residential growth would take place in Forks Township; the shed rebuilt in 88 was now too small to handle the explosive growth.  In 1993 my Father would draw up a plan to erect a modern showroom on the footprint of the original office.  Once again my Fathers hand drawn plans would be rejected by Forks Township. Rather than hiring an engineer my Father would drop the planned Forks Township expansion.  My Fathers refusal to work with zoning officials would handcuff both Bethlehem and Forks Township.  It wasn’t 1955 anymore something my Father refused to accept.  To thwart zoning officials in Bethlehem my Father would resort to using temporary vinyl covered structures to get around dealing with Township officials.  Under one large temporary building my father would build a complete shop with electric, plumbing, heating and concrete floor.

My Father would make the success or failure of the Forks Township store a determining factor in naming a permanent successor.  By 1994 my Fathers promise to name a successor in 5 years was now 9 years without a decision.  During this period my Sister’s attacks to undermine my qualifications would become even more vicious, and bizarre. 

One of the attacks from my Sister would be the Satellite business.  My sister, who had never visited the Forks Township Store, would describe my staff as sitting around watching TV all day.  When my Sister would bring her objection to satellite business to my Fathers dinner table he had enough.  I was told I could stay in the satellite business however the showroom display had to be removed.  At this point it was time to shut down the satellite business.  My Sister would never understand the profitability of the Satellite business, or how it helped grow the Forks Township store.  The inventory would be liquidated and the customer list was given to another dealer.   

I continued to press my Father to make a decision.  My Father’s response was to offer to sell me the Forks Township store.  My Fathers offer to sell the store would turn out to be just another empty promise.  My Father knew that Sister could not handle the business and then there was the point my Father did not want to relinquish his complete control.

When I pushed my Father to ether name a successor or honor his promise to sell me the Forks store he would set the terms of sale that he thought were impossible to meet.  I was given less than 5 weeks to set up a new Corporation, collect the licenses and permits necessary and insurance.  Under my Fathers terms I would then sign an open contract on January 1 1995 that would give my Father 120 days to adjust my inventory and the financial terms of the contract.
  
I would take over the Forks Township store on Jan 1 1995 with the 3 slowest months of the year ahead of me with no money in the cash register.   I assume that my Father was surprised when he returned from Florida in May to find my business still operating and my loan payments up to date.  With a change in management my Father would find the Bethlehem store stumbling through the busy season unprepared.  The responsibilities that I gave up when I left the business were not picked up by my Sister or her staff.  My Father would also discover that the person who was on call 24-7 to take care of any problems was no longer going to answer the phone.  As the summer progressed my Father was starting to realize the scope of his mistake.  Late in the summer of 1995 he would make one more attempt to get me back by canceling the contract we both signed.  In his new contract he would confiscate most of my party equipment and would raise the price about 15% on an already pricey business purchase.  In the new contract he would also cancel all the cooperation terms of the original Contract.

During this period my Father would write in one of his letters that he was being forced to return to the day to day operation of the business.  In 1995 my Father would return to a desk that was very unfamiliar to him.  For past 20 years he had the ability to come and go as he pleased without worry about the day to day operation of the business, with myself and my Brother both gone he would need to be consulted more often.  Still much of my Fathers time in the store would be greeting customers and staring at a computer he refused to touch. 

One of the examples of the problem of my Father running the business from Florida was the winter of 1995.  The early 1990's would bring some snowy cold winters, Snow throwers would be in very short supply.  The supply was so thin that Toro would limit even preseason orders.  Most snow thrower dealers were sold out well before the Snowy Winter of 1995 started this even included Sears Home Depot and the other big box retailers.  While we had snow Utah was dealing with a snow drought. Some enterprising Toro Dealers in Utah began to contact eastern dealers hoping to unload unsold inventory.  I would make my Utah purchases to a level to meet my customer’s needs; other Toro dealers would do the same.  My Father would follow the snowy winter by reading old local Newspapers that were sent to him.  My Father would decide to order almost 100 Snow throwers from Utah.  By the time the deal was put together and the snow throwers arrived the snows were melting and less than a quarter of that shipment would be sold. The remaining snow throwers would gather dust in the warehouse until being liquidated years later. 

One of the losses with my departure would be the ability to have someone walk the fences every day.  In all the years that I was working in Forks Township Palmer or Macungie I would spend enough time at each store to understood the business.  I worked on the Tent crew, I knew the equipment, and I knew who was really working and who was smoking Weed.  While my Sister wanted complete control of the business she seldom left the counter or even walked out into back lot.  My Sister had never visited the Macungie or the Forks Township store.  After I was gone my Sister had the job of managing a business she didn’t understand.  My Sisters employees would see her weakness’s and take advantage of her lack of leadership.  Did it take two three or four people to install a 30 x 60 tent my Sisters didn’t know?  They would be blind as to what the delivery crews were doing. 

During the 5th decade the Party Business would continue to lose market share.  My Sisters would discontinue marketing at bridal shows and other person to person events.  My Sisters would ignore these marketing opportunities because they refused to work the extra hours.  Bridal Shows are not enjoyable to work but they are very important to the Party Rental Business.  At Bridal shows we don’t only market to the bride; it’s a party rental marketing opportunity to also show family friends what we can provide.  The party services we offered were no longer in front of interested consumers.  Our absence at shows that our competitors attended equaled lost market share.  Leiser’s was no longer known for putting on the big events; however a new competitor across town was gaining a reputation

As the 50th anniversary was approaching the future of the business was an open question.  My Father would write in one of his letters that he would never turn the business over to my Sisters.  My Father would validate the statement in the letter as he began to distribute company stock to employees outside the Leiser family. 

The business was on solid financial ground.  Selling off the RV Business would not bring any cash into the business; however there was now cash available to rebuild the rental business.  One of the problems that would arise would be putting the money where it was needed.   

During the previous years when I would accompany my Father through the Rental Show, I understood what our needs even though many times my opinions were overlooked.  I couldn’t stop My Father from unneeded purchases, however I understood how to distract him and move him past most of the Keg Cooler disasters. 

The date of the Rental Show would fall in the middle of my Fathers 6 months in Florida.  My Father would travel directly to the show without a review of the upcoming year’s needs.  During this time back in control my Father would make the final decisions on all purchases.  My Father would mostly ignore the replacement of our obsolete equipment.  Instead of drawing old customers back with updated inventory, my Father would look for the unproven and unusual rental item.  My Father was still looking for those hidden gems that he found in the very early years of the business.  The rental industry was mature we knew what our customers wanted, the brands the models.  While we should have been focusing on rebuilding the core my Father still wanted to experiment.  During this 5th decade the average age of our powered rental equipment was 15 years old.

On the Sales side the Wheel Horse Lawn Tractor Contract would be returned to us by Toro.  Toro would also give us a contact to sell Commercial lawn equipment to Landscaper’s, estates, and Industrial users.  We were not Toro’s first choice; however Toro was dealing with a large number of Dealer failures in our area was looking for stability.  The Toro distributor understood we were no longer committed to the lawn equipment business but understood if nothing else that we could support the existing customers left stranded by the failed dealers. 

As we were making a new push into lawnmowers Toro was inking a deal to supply Home Depot with a stripped down version of the lawn mowers we sold.  It was Toro’s time to turn their back on the servicing dealers and sell their soul to a big box retailer.


The Bethlehem stores retail showroom continued to shrink as the Museum my Father built for his Hunting Trophies expanded.  The final expansion of the trophy room would take the entire Lawn equipment showroom.  A few of the new mowers and a tractor or two would be jammed into the front corner of the rental showroom.   

No comments:

Post a Comment